Thursday, August 25, 2016

A Letter To Mom's With 'THAT KID'

Dear Mom of "THAT KID" ---

I get you. You get me. I am walking a lot of miles in your shoes. We question ourselves and wondering if our kid is out of their mind because somehow other moms got the secret memo, "how to raise perfect children" and they never shared the message with us. What a shame.

So the kid in class who hits, throws, kicks, spits... the politically correct way of saying, "Your child was a bit wild today." We all know what that means. lol

I am here to tell you that you are awesome. Since you love your child, feed your child, cloth your child and discipline your child.. you are a great mom!! A GREAT MOM. I don't judge you. I don't blame you for your kiddo acting like a strong-independent-confident terd. I love them too.

I wish I could give you a hug. I know 6 out of the 7 days a week, we are on the brink of tears. We wonder, "is it this hard for everyone else? or am I just really doing everything wrong?"

You aren't my dear strong momma. You need an extra dose of grace.

Hear it from a momma who's son has been kicked out of every {EVERY} school, church nursery, gym child care, YMCA summer camps classroom. Every single one. And I would cry all day long after each teacher told me he was just not ready or the right fit there.

Finally, we looked for answers. We know he is awesome. And we also know he has social and developmental delays that affect his behavior in a classroom setting. We aren't oblivious. But I finally realized he is unique and exactly how God made him. I am not ashamed of him. I am proud of him and I do have very high expectations for my spitfire son.



Eventually, we took the steps to get him evaluated for an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) with the local Special Education program. He was eligible for an IEP and would receive certain accommodations to help him in the classroom. He is 4 years old and we have a big road a head of us... but we feel confident we are on the right path.


For those who are feeling alone, you aren't. You can be your child'd advocate. Learn more about our journey with his IEP in this video.

Remember, you are doing your best. Give yourself some grace. Take a deep breath. God gave you your kiddo for a reason. He knew you would be strong enough to raise them up to be leaders. Capeesh?

I will leave you with this. Don't lose heart. Galatians 6:9:

"Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary."




If you have "THAT KID" --- watch this video and see if we relate!! I'd love to connect to chat more about what we've done to help him thrive (and for us to remain sane & strong)

Shoot me a message on Facebook: MESSAGE ME 



Sincerely,

A mom in love with her boy