Thursday, June 23, 2016

BEHIND THE SCENES: What it took to achieve 8 Star Diamond!








As a Beachbody Coach (one who wants to use this opportunity to build a business), advancing in "rank" can seem like the pinnacle of all successes. And trust me, waking up this morning to look at my online office definitely felt amazing.

It was affirming to see that what I've been working diligently on for 3+ years is finally displayed via "rank" -- Not because I wanted to earn respect from wearing a badge or gain leadership once I got fancy recognition... I think lots of coaches get this backwards. 

Hear me out. 
For 3+ years now, I've tried to work my business as if I was already a millionaire who led a 15 Star Diamond Team (for those non-Beachbody-ers, that is like a massively high status). I did not want to INFLATE my rank and then attempt to grow into that leadership role. 

Truth be told, it's taken me this long to even gain the confidence, skill & know-how to even imagine what it would take to lead an 8 Star Diamond team. 

I did not earn this title because I "got lucky" or that things "fell in my lap"  -- earning this title, to me, means that I was ready


It means that I had to paid my dues. It means that I had to swing my bat 10x more than I thought. It means I had to miss 10x as many goals. It means I had to overcome 10x the amount of estimated adversities.

What is an 8 Star Diamond Coach?

(again, this is Beachbody lingo, but for the curious minds)

  • I must be a Diamond Coach myself 
  • I must have a total of 8 personally sponsored Diamond Coaches
  • I must have a minimum of 23 personally sponsored active status coaches
  • You must hold this for 6-consecutive weeks (this is what they call "qualification")

What does being an 8 Star Diamond Coach mean to me?

To be candid, I must give you the entire picture. Back in 2015, I set a goal to start our 10 Star Qualification by May 2015. We had some stellar coaches who were excited and eager, but I think I pushed them too hard. I thought "all they need is a push to believe in themselves" -- a major leadership lesson I learned through that first failed 10 Star attempt. We weren't quite ready. And no amount of pep talks or manipulation can magically produce a team that isn't there. No one's fault but my own. So off I went to help more people and continue to grow. 

By April 2016, I was ready go for 10 Star Diamond again. But it wasn't because I was rank hungry. It wasn't because I thought being 10 Star Diamond would solve all the standard business obstacles that pop up. I wanted 10 Star Diamond because I accessed the developing leaders on Moxie... and thought, "yep, we are ready." So all our team needed was someone to cast the vision and steer the ship.

We are a fun bunch. It felt like a team. For example, this is what happens when we are together:



So I worked up the courage to be the leader I knew I needed to be... being a trailblazer and the one to "challenge" the group is not always easy. You put yourself at risk for one sour apple accusing you of false motives. Or another saying it's too hard. Or someone potentially whining, complaining or sharing negative energy to the group.

I wanted to be very protective of the vibe of this group. I knew I needed to be open & vulnerable. No fluff. No crap. These girls are smart and they deserved to know what we were capable of. Here is a video I made to share my 10 Star (and even 15 Star) vision (I've never before shared this publicly): 





Some of the verses I shared in this video:

  • "We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps." Proverbs 16:9
  • "The LORD directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives." Psalm 37:23
  • "I know, O Lord, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps." Jeremiah 10:23


 And guess what?? A handful of weeks later, WE DID IT!!! We started our 10 Star Diamond Qualification on May 18, 2016. It was incredible. I had to pinch myself a few times.

We held that 10-Star Diamond rank for 5 weeks!

And by the 6th (and last) week of qualification, we dropped to 9 star... then 8 Star... 

WOWZERS. 

{{ And more background info, if we had finished our 10 Star Diamond Qualification (just 6 more days), I would have received a Star Diamond bonus of around $15,000. That is not small money.}}

However. 

This did not break me. 

I was proud of myself. 

Although it was a shortcoming of the original goal, it did not shorten the magnitude of pride I had in my heart of the solid team that pulled together to take Moxie to the next level. 

Thank you Moxie! Thank you! What you did was simply amazing and we aren't stopping here. Our team continues to make an impact and my desire is that you keep the main thing the main thing. 

Don't become blinded by rank, bank accounts, accolades... measure your success by the amount of influence and positivity you can spread to those around you. What makes Beachbody THE BEST is their constant focus on helping our customers get results. Helping those who join our Challenge Groups. Caring more about learning their story than just gaining a few new points. 

This is what will create longevity and satisfaction in your business. 

So, Moxie, when we DO become a million dollar team & a 15 Star Diamond team... we will know it was built on the FOUNDATION of listening, caring, helping and serving. 

That is the kind of business I want to run. 



{{If you not a coach and are reading this because you are awesome and supportive, I love that. Thanks! If you'd like to chat more about what it means to be a coach or what kind of support & training we have on our team, I'd love to connect. Shoot me an email here: laura@lauramendenhall.com}}

Thanks for reading. Remember, you can go after big hairy scary goals. Keep your eyes on what matters and don't ever [ever] let anyone tell you that you can't achieve your dreams.

xoxo