Tuesday, April 12, 2016

5 Ways I manage my {painful} PCOS

I don't talk about this a lot.

I guess my reasons are silly. I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) in late 2013. Nothing alarming happened to cause me to get ask my doctor about it... as a matter of fact, my doctors never formally told me the test results.


After 18 months of NOT having a cycle, I finally went to my doctor. My husband and I were trying for baby #2 and I had no answers.

They took some standard blood work and sent me on my way.

It wasn't until I proactively called a few weeks later to check results that the nurse in passing said,

"Oh... everything came back last week... do you have any questions about your PCOS?"


My mind started racing and I thought, "surely there is a mix up. I thought PCOS was when you were in constant pain and had to get cysts surgically removed."

After little help or support from my doctor's office (unfortunate), I began my own research. 

NEVER DO THAT. 

I was convinced that I was 90% guaranteed to get Cervical Cancer. I was convinced I'd never have anymore children. I even freaked out because I thought I'd grow a mustache. 

Turns out, my hormones are out of whack. They took blood work and noted that my LH (lutenizing hormone) and FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) were rather normal (around equal value). However, they discovered that my total testosterone levels were 3 x greater than they expected (and even the slightest increase in testosterone would suppress normal cycles). 

Soon thereafter, ultrasounds confirmed the "string of pearls" on my ovaries.

So there I was, diagnosed with something that was extremely open-ended as to the effects is has on my body. PCOS effects every woman differently. I felt like it was a waiting game.

Since being diagnosed, I've had a handful of flare ups that have been excruciating. After reliving these frequent flare-ups, I realized the stomach problems I suffered from in high school all made sense now.

Throughout my teenage years, I'd develop this overwhelming painful bloat. A swollen abdomen that would be triggered by certain lifestyle choices... eating certain foods mainly. Like drinking cokes, eating fried foods (leave me in acid-reflux-ville), devouring bags of gummy bears.

I was tested for Chrohn's Disease. I was told I had IBS. They told me I must have ulcers. I had to wear heart monitors because of unexplained chest pains. I had no answers. This is what led me to take a MASSIVE step towards living a healthier lifestyle. I needed to "fix me" and cleaning up my diet was one thing that offered aid.

Since then, flare ups like that happen a few times a year. After sharing my experience with others in PCOS groups I've joined, I've learned the "science behind the bloat" and that (shoulda known) it's hormone related. Ok... now we are on to something.

A few culprits to the painful bloat I experience: 
  • Hormone imbalance (specifically estrogen bc it retains water)
  • Gut Flora (lack of healthy bacteria so you digest poorly) 
  • Food intolerances (sensitivity to dairy, gluten, soy, etc)

HOW I MANAGE MY PCOS: 

Obviously, easier said than done. When you are faced with the task of "balancing your hormones," that seems like a daunting uncontrollable task. 

  1. For me, I've found that exercising not only reduces my bloat, it also helps move food and air through my digestive tract to alleviate bloating.
  2. Drinking spearmint tea is another way to alleviate the pain. It helps manage testosterone levels (which I need!). 
  3. Taking/Eating/Drinking more probiotics is definitely on the list. Probiotics help to balance flora that lives in your gut. Yogurt is a good option. I love Kombucha for this reason as well.
  4. Also, many women with PCOS have a sensitivity to dairy. This is because of the IGF-1 content (which causes a rise in testosterone levels and it problematic for us PCOS'ers). 
  5. Increase your potassium girlfriend. We (as is me) eat way too much salt (sodium chloride) in our food. Did you know that potassium counteracts this sodium chloride. Foods like bananas, mangos, spinach, tomatoes, nuts, asparagus... eat em' all! (however, bananas are high in sugar for example, so pair that with a protein so your insulin doesn't spike)


I can't always predict or prevent flare ups. But I have noticed that since I am taking better care of my health (and fueling my body with better foods) that I have a regular cycle now without having to take medication. Again, PCOS is different for everyone. But the solutions are similar. 

If you wanted to know what I do to work out and eat right, I can suggest some of my favorite programs to you. They are simple and realistic.

I actually drink Shakeology everyday to ensure I am putting enough digestive enzymes in my body. Shakeology is 100% natural (which meant a lot to me).



I eat a healthy dose of healthy fats, meats & vegetables. But at the end of the day, I legit wasn't getting enough of the right vitamins to go to battle for me internally.

When I started drinking Shakeology daily (it's been 3 years now), I noticed an immediate improvement. I was finally going to the bathroom every day, my heart burn decreased... and dare I say it, I am regular with my cycles now. I do not believe that there is ONE CURE ALL for PCOS.

But for me, I will never NOT drink Shakeology everyday because I've experienced massive results.

When I share this 1:1, some are weary that it is not a solution for us fellow Cysters because it contains 9 grams of sugar (and sugar messes with our insulin levels). But that is simply a misconception. The Glycemic Index on it is 24, which is very low. The sugar in Shakeology are what has been naturally extracted from fruits and vegetables.

Did you know that an APPLE contains 19 grams of natural sugar? And Shakeology contains 9 grams.

Don't give a slew of reasons why you shouldn't drink Shakeology. I've used them myself.

For what it's worth, and it may not be for you because I was skeptical too, Shakeology is my go-to. If you ever wanted to try it for yourself, I can point you in the right direction.

Grab a month supply here (there is a 100% money back guarantee if you are dissatisfied).

Email me at: laura@lauramendenhall.com to chat more about your PCOS and if you need more exercise & nutrition ideas (since I've managed to control mine thus far via lifestyle) 

So are we cysters?? Can you relate?


Let's hug it out. Be grateful that we have this life and can work through this "thorn in our side" to ensure we are living the best life possible. 

Again, if you wanted to start on Shakeology, give it a shot.

CLICK HERE TO LEARN ABOUT SHAKEOLOGY